[Sca-cooks] Re: Arghhhh feast Service

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Jan 17 06:07:18 PST 2002

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

>  I rose to serve my table
> the next course, and nominated a fellow diner who had also spent the
> previous portion of the feast on his duff, to assist me.
>
> He really seemed unhappy with the idea, even when I pointed out how
> others at our table had done so well serving the both of us. (He seemed
> to feel that as they had done so well, they should continue.) Finally he
>   said something to the effect that it was unseemly for a noble to serve
> (okay, he was a comparative newbie), and I lifted my laurel medallion
> and told him, "What a noble does is, by definition, noble."
>
> Yeah, rather a generalization, perhaps, but how often, these days, does
> one get to pass on a genuinely good lesson learned from Duke Aonghais?

Ooooh...

Personally knowing two of his former squires as well as other household
members, I can tell you that this is the kind of lesson that was learned
well and passed on often. And a good lesson it is!

I had to pass on something similar to my son just the other day, and it
is one I tried to explain to a friend years ago after I was gravely hurt
by a person I loved, when my friend questioned my insistence on treating
that person with the greatest courtesy- that how I treat that person is
not dependent on their honor, but on _mine_. And frankly, the less they
would seem to deserve it, the more I need to extend myself. As I told my
son, how his little sister is behaving doesn't matter- he is in charge
of his own behavior, and will be judged accordingly when the Mom comes
to investigate the yelling!

"God's bodkin, man, much better: use every man after his desert, and who
shall 'scape whipping? Use them after your own honor and dignity: the
less they deserve, the more merit is in your bounty." -Hamlet (Act 2
scene 2, lines 517-520)

'Lainie
up early cause I can't sleep