[Sca-cooks] RE: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #1274 - 16 msgs

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Jan 17 07:32:05 PST 2002

"Smith, Judith" wrote:

> I believe it was Henry VIII that had the difficulty with the eels-though it
> was one of his favorite foods it aggravated his gout to the point of
> incapacitation. Maybe Richard did too, but I don't remember it being an
> issue like it was with Henry.

> > From: Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com>

> > Okay, before this gets away from us... I was being... um... amusing at
> > the expense of the different accounts of the death of King John, some of
> > which refer to his suffering from a surfeit of peaches/apricots/with or
> > without ale as well, essentially super-dysentery... and according to
> > some others, having eaten too many lampreys. Or am I thinking of some
> > other English king?

Um, I know of no incidents involving Henry VIII and eels, but Henry I
died after eating lampreys, John died after a bowl of peaches and ale. I
seem to remember one of the Hanoverian kings dies of eating something,
but I don't have any history that late at hand.

Gout is a disease of the rich and over-fed- too much of organ meats,
fat, and ale. And sometimes I wonder if the 'poisonings' were really
gall-bladder attacks.

Henry VIII had a whole host of bedical problems, but I think he died of
meanness. :-/

'Lainie