[Sca-cooks] Re: Backyards in NYC

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 17 08:12:45 PST 2002

Is that the park with the Boy Scout Camp in it? My brother got lost
there, once, on a campout.

I don't think we have any working farms in Staten Island any more,
though there were quite a few when I was a kid. The Verrazano Bridge
made the commute easier, which pretty much killed the farms, and turned
that part of the city into suburbs, not country.

And the last real working farmers in Queens just gave up and sold the
last of their land. There is still, I think, one historic farm, but
that's not quite the same.

Now, I never had a yard. I grew up, quite happily, I may add, in a 15
story apartment house. (We didn't miss a yard, but we did miss having a
basement... Oh, for storage space!) As I said, a wide variety.

Anne