[Sca-cooks] Re: Farms on Staten Island

Mary Denise Smith costumemag at costumemag.com
Thu Jan 17 09:27:24 PST 2002

I dunno what the State uses it for now. It's the Garricke Farm, on
Arthur Kill Road, almost across from the prison. The old town name was
Rossville. It had ceased being a farm in the 1970s when air pollution
from NJ left their strawberry crops with holes drilled in the leaves and
fruit. When I lived there, the local bus drivers used to ask me if we
still grew strawberries and told stories about stopping there after Mass
on Sundays to pick berries.

Those in NY and Settmour Swamp who remember Sir Andros (the knight who
used to go to Pennsic in blue paint) will remember that he and his
family lived in a farmhouse on Arthur Kill Road as well.

The only working farm left on Staten Island is the Decker Farm, part of
Richmondtown. They do some truck farming, a patch of wheat and about a
gadzillion pumpkins (more or less).

MD/Marged