[Sca-cooks] Good Huswifes recipe question

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jan 17 16:48:10 PST 2002

Olwen the Odd wrote:

 > To make a tarte of Spennedge
 >
 > Boyle your Egges and your Creame togither, and then put them into a
bowle,
 >  and then boyle your Spinnedge, and when they are boyled, take them
 >  out of the water and straine them into your stuffe before you straine
 >  your Creame, boyle your stuffe and then strain them all againe, and
 >  season them with suger and salt.
 >
 > Ok.  I'm reading boil some eggs and cream together, put the mixture
 > in a bowl.  Boil some spicnach, remove from water....and then what?
 >   Add to the cream/egg mix?  If that's true then why would they
 > call it stuffe in that part of the sentence and end up with
 > straining your creame?  So what is "stuffe"?

The author _may_ be using "stuffe", as in either "filling", or simply as
in, well, stuff, as in "material", "mixture", etc.

 > Maybe I'm just tired.

Maybe, or maybe the author was tired.

 > Olwen.  So.  No one recieved a packet yet???

Okay... it _sounds_ like what you're doing is making a stirred custard,
which, while not as firm as a baked custard, will set up somewhat when
cold, especially with the right proportion of egg yolks.

Then you blanch and then puree your spinach through a strainer, add it
to the custardy stuff, and strain it all again, boil it again, strain it
all again to give you a homogeneous green goo.

Season with salt and sugar.

I'm interested in whether this gets baked in a pie shell, baked in a
plate, poured into a baked shell, or poured into a plate.

The possibility also exists that this is more like one of those lait
lard recipes, in which whole eggs and/or yolks are being used to curdle
(deliberately) milk or cream, which might be why there's all this
boiling happening.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy