[Sca-cooks] Re: Backyards in NYC

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Fri Jan 18 09:44:18 PST 2002

Adamantius replied to me with:
> Stefan li Rous wrote:
>  >>> or skipped rocks on the pond?
>  >>>
>  >> Sure I have! The lagoon in the Park!
>  >
>  > I figured that might be the answer here.
>
> Stefan, what, exactly, is the source of your evident obsession with
> Central Park as the extremely erroneously attributed home of all that is
> not made of concrete and steel in New York? We've just spent a day and a
> half trying to explain to you that Central Park is _not_ the only place
> where there are animals, plants, including cattails, open water, etc.,
> but all you seem to be hearing and allowing to register, are the words
> "Central Park", over and over again.

Huh??? Olwen implied that Anne couldn't have had the joy of skipping
rocks across a pond since she lived in Manhatten. When Olwen said
this, my first thought was "Well, what about Central Park. There is
a large pond there.". Obsessed with Central Park? I don't think so.
But it was (I thought) an obvious counter example to Olwens comment.
It was in fact the example that Anne then used in her later message.

Yes, there are other possible locations, some of which would be
known to outsiders such as the East River or whatever the body of
water is on the other side, but then those two aren't "ponds",
either.

Is this any clearer?

> I'm trying to figure where the fun enters in this equation. Perhaps,
> what with recent events, I've lost my sense of humor where my home is
> concerned...

Maybe.

Stefan li Rous
(forget the Rock, just find me a small hole somewhere I can crawl into)