[Sca-cooks] Re: hearts of palm

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jan 19 21:38:40 PST 2002

Iasmin quoted a referance about hearts of palm:
> "Because organic material easily decomposes in the archaeological
> sites of the humid tropics, there are few references to findings of
> peach-palm material which enable its past to be reconstructed. The
> oldest come from seeds found in various localities on the two coasts
> of Costa Rica and date from 2300 to 1700 BC, when it is assumed that
> it was already cultivated.

Oh! It's from a New World plant! Does it only come from this "peach-
palm"? I had assumed it came from any (most?) palm tree.So I figured
it was a Middle Eastern or Indian thing.

So, what part of the plant does this "heart of palm" come from? I
figured the inside of the branches or trunk, but since I was
apparently so wrong before...

Waverly Root has about one sentence in "Food" about palms and
nothing specifically on heart of palm.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net