[Sca-cooks] Almond milk

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 20 16:43:41 PST 2002

  Yes, Carragenan is a stabilizer derived from Irish Moss (I think).  It
also probably makes it feel less watery.

I was mostly just wondering, and also thinking it would make life easier
at camping events.

I have no idea why the tapioca didn't work. It wasn't defective, because
I then used the rest of the box with no trouble. And it doesn't need
dairy to work, as I think junket does, because I've made it with fruit
juice. But that experience made me hesitate to experiment any more,
since almond milk is a bit expensive to throw out. (This was modern, not
period cooking, of course.) I do not remember what brand, or what was in
it. I read the florifile (Thanks, Stefan) and was interested to see
someone else post that she'd made a flan that also didn't set up, also
from the commercial almond milk. Now, I'm really curious...

So, either raw or roasted almonds work? The second are usually easier to
get, of course, though I have to avoid the salted ones, of course! And
if I can get 4-8 cups of milk from 1 cup of almonds, that's not bad at
all. I gather it depends on the recipe?

Anne