[Sca-cooks] Is cooking like costuming?

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Jan 21 14:31:11 PST 2002

>  It has been stated regularly here that no one expects an exact match
>but only the best attempt.

What is expected is a redaction from a _SINGLE_ extant period
recipe. It must be the most exact COPY of the dish we can make from the
information in that recipe (and for the more broadminded, perhaps also
information we have gained from other sources).

Costumers are not expected (as the only possible thing they can do) to
produce a _reproduction_ of a recorded piece (illustration, pattern,
whatever).

Cooks are expected to produce the best possible reproduction of a single
recorded instance, even when multiple recorded instances of the same dish
exist.

This is what makes SCA cooking unlike any other SCA art or science, the
idea that the NORM should be the best possible REPRODUCTION of a
particular extant recording.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa