[Sca-cooks] Is cooking like costuming?

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Jan 21 11:42:48 PST 2002

I've always thought of cooking as the perfect sensual art -- it's the one
art that intimately involves all five senses of the artists, and in which
at least four out of the five must be equally well pleased in the audience
[hearing being the least important for the audience, but, then again, think
about the sounds of food being served and eaten, and how good food sounds
make you hungry and bad food sounds put you off]. As far as I know, aside
from (possibly) brewing, this is the only art that does this. While
costuming is a sensual art, touch and sight are by far the predominant
sense, the others are fairly peripherary.  And yet, cooking has a
remarkably scientific, mathematical, orderly and cerebral side (in this, it
is much like costume)

toodles, margaret
--On Sunday, January 20, 2002 6:34 PM -0500 Siegfried Heydrich