[Sca-cooks] 'Tis the voice of the turtle...

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 22 06:24:04 PST 2002

>Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 10:34:55 -0500
>
>Late last night, my lord remembered that he hadn't brought in the
>mail, so he trudged out and retrieved it.  When he returned, he told
>me, "You have a package.  From Baltimore.  Were you expecting
>something?"
>
>I showed remarkable patience as I unwrapped the pretty wrappings,
>and removed the precious bundle from its nest of silver fuzzy stuff.
>
>Olwen, Queen of Marzipan, sent me a marzipan Mock Turtle with a
>chocolate-coated shell.  For those of you who don't remember the
>discussion on this list, the Mock Turtle is a creature from _Alice's
>Adventures in Wonderland_, the alleged source of mock turtle soup
>(which is really made from veal).  Here's a picture from the book:
>http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/People/rgs/alice34a.gif
>
>My mock turtle is a charming, goofy-looking critter, and I have to
>say that Mr. Tenniel's portrait does not do him justice.
>
>Olwen, thank you so much!  You are as sweet as the work of your
>hands.
>
>Brighid ni Chiarain *** mka Robin Carroll-Mann

Great!  He got there!  Did his head fall off?  I was afraid his head would
fall off (again).  He was fun to do.  I have to admit that the way I got
past the smell of marzipan was to open a big jar of fresh shaved coconut and
place it by my hand so that is what I could smell.  I hope by the time of
this writing that the little dickens is at least half eaten!

Yes gang, I did take a picture and I will post if it comes out.
Olwen