[Sca-cooks] 'Tis the voice of the turtle...

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 19 07:34:55 PST 2002

Late last night, my lord remembered that he hadn't brought in the
mail, so he trudged out and retrieved it.  When he returned, he told
me, "You have a package.  From Baltimore.  Were you expecting
something?"

I showed remarkable patience as I unwrapped the pretty wrappings,
and removed the precious bundle from its nest of silver fuzzy stuff.

Olwen, Queen of Marzipan, sent me a marzipan Mock Turtle with a
chocolate-coated shell.  For those of you who don't remember the
discussion on this list, the Mock Turtle is a creature from _Alice's
Adventures in Wonderland_, the alleged source of mock turtle soup
(which is really made from veal).  Here's a picture from the book:
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/People/rgs/alice34a.gif

My mock turtle is a charming, goofy-looking critter, and I have to
say that Mr. Tenniel's portrait does not do him justice.

Olwen, thank you so much!  You are as sweet as the work of your
hands.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net