[Sca-cooks] food as art

sjk3 at cornell.edu sjk3 at cornell.edu
Tue Jan 22 08:26:30 PST 2002

> I pretty much agree with you on this Margaret.  Food is art.  The whole
> "pleasing to the eye" concept is a truism.  I have seen the same portions of
> the same dishes placed on a platter or a plate and there is a definate
> difference in which I would be attracted to eat.
>
> said the stangest thing to me.  She said I think in textures.  I think every
> cook worth their weight *has* to think in textures.  After all, food is a
> texture.  It is also a colour.  I'm sure we have all seen a plate that is
> covered in food all the same texture and colour.  It is not very appetizing
> in my opinion.  I would be happier to find a variety of complementary
>
> Olwen

    This reminds of something in one of my older editions of "Joy of
Cooking."  Irma (we never called it "Joy of Cooking," it was "check it in
Irma") spoke of a new bride who prepared her first dinner for her new
husband.  I don't remember the details, but it was something like poached
fish, mashed potatoes, and (probably very well done) boiled cauliflower.
She (Irma) then went on to say that food should look nice as well as taste
nice, etc.

Sandra, who must admit sometimes her plates are less than stellar
sjk3 at cornell.edu