[Sca-cooks] Weekend discoveries

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Tue Jan 22 11:59:43 PST 2002

Brighid ni Chiarain said:
> It's been a nice, lazy 3-day weekend.  I made a few pleasant
> discoveries.
>
> 1. I bought a couple of big fat carrots at the Asian grocery.  They
> were about 1-1/2 inches in diameter at the narrow end, once the tip
> was trimmed.  I cut off a 2-inch chunk, and had no trouble at all
> hollowing it out with my apple corer.

1-1/2 inches in diameter at the *narrow* end? If so, how big was
the wide end? Were these orange or some other color?

> 2. I scored a copy of Zapko's _A Dictionary of English Weights and
> Measures from Anglo-Saxon Times to the Nineteenth Century_ at
> the used book shop.  It was a steal at $10.  So the next time I
> need to know what a puncheon is, or a frail, I'm set.

Oh! I've never heard of such a book existing. Could you please give
a more complete bibliographic citation? I'd like to put this in
the measures-msg file.

> 3. At the other Asian grocery, I found a 1.75 oz. (50 g) bottle of
> galangale for $0.89.

Was this powdered galangale? Or were these the chunks? This sounds
like the bottle of powdered galangale I found recently. Also in
an Asian grocery.

Stefan li Rous