[Sca-cooks] Weekend discoveries

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 22 17:40:07 PST 2002

[ Converted text/enriched to text/plain ]
On 22 Jan 2002, at 13:59, Mark.S Harris wrote:

> Brighid ni Chiarain said:
> > 1. I bought a couple of big fat carrots at the Asian grocery. They
> > were about 1-1/2 inches in diameter at the narrow end, once the tip
> > was trimmed.

> 1-1/2 inches in diameter at the *narrow* end? If so, how big was
> the wide end? Were these orange or some other color?

About 2-1/4 at the wide end. They don't taper as drastically as the smaller
carrots. And they were orange. Ordinary carrots, just old and big.

> > 2. I scored a copy of Zapko's _A Dictionary of English Weights and
> > Measures from Anglo-Saxon Times to the Nineteenth Century_ at the
> > used book shop. It was a steal at $10. So the next time I need to
> > know what a puncheon is, or a frail, I'm set.
>
> Oh! I've never heard of such a book existing. Could you please give a
> more complete bibliographic citation? I'd like to put this in the
> measures-msg file.

LC Control Number: 68014038
Type of Material: Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)
Personal Name: {HYPERLINK
"http://catalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?SC=Author&SEQ=20020122202559&PID=3041&SA=Zupko,+Ronald+Edward."}Zupko,
Ronald Edward.
Main Title: A dictionary of English weights and measures; from Anglo- Saxon
times to the nineteenth century.
Published/Created: Madison, University of Wisconsin Press, 1968. Description:
xvi, 224 p. 23 cm.
Notes: Bibliography: p. 195-224.

Please note that I misspelled the author's name in my original message. HIt is
Zupko, not Zapko. He has also written two comparable books on French and
Italian measurements. Master Basilius Phocas, of the Midrealm, has been
translating the a period Italian cookbook, and I know that he has used the
Italian measurements book in his work.

LC Control Number: 80070299
Type of Material: Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)
Personal Name: {HYPERLINK
"http://catalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?SC=Author&SEQ=20020122203608&PID=3041&SA=Zupko,+Ronald+Edward."}Zupko,
Ronald Edward.
Main Title: Italian weights and measures from the Middle Ages to the
nineteenth century / Ronald Edward Zupko.
Published/Created: Philadelphia : American Philosophical Society, 1981.
ISBN: 0871691450
Notes: Bibliography: p. 309-339.

LC Control Number: 78003249
Type of Material: Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)
Personal Name: {HYPERLINK
"http://catalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?SC=Author&SEQ=20020122203710&PID=3041&SA=Zupko,+Ronald+Edward."}Zupko,
Ronald Edward.
Main Title: French weights and measures before the Revolution : a dictionary
of provincial and local units / Ronald Edward Zupko.
 Published/Created: Bloomington : Indiana University Press, c1978.
ISBN: 0253324807
Notes: Bibliography: p. 189-208.

> > 3. At the other Asian grocery, I found a 1.75 oz. (50 g) bottle of
> > galangale for $0.89.
>
> Was this powdered galangale?

Powdered. They also sell the chunks, but I've heard that they are impossible
to grind with ordinary home kitchen equipment.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net