[Sca-cooks] food as art

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 22 13:38:42 PST 2002

"Mark.S Harris" wrote:

> Rise J. Peters said:
> > I had a friend in grad school ask me for "a home cooked meal" once.  So I
> > treated him to slow-cooked porkchops in gravy, home-fried potatos, and
> > southern style green beans.  He looked at the plate and then at me and said
> > "It's all brown."
> >
> > It had never occured to me that food should be any color other than brown,
> > before that...
>
> Okay, while not much of this is close to period (do we have any
> period recipes for pork chops?), the color is not unlike a lot
> of bruets and such. Except that green beans are green, not brown.

Ever had vegetables in the South?  My in-laws in Birmingham, Alabama cook
vegetables until they are good and dead.  The color may not have been brown,
technically, but it was not far off.  Bleargh.

One problem I do NOT have in my marriage is a husband who bewails the fact that I
don't cook like his momma did.  He cherishes this fact instead.

Lots of stuff can go on the plate to jazz up the visual as well as the taste,
like a nice fruit compote/compost [same word really], which goes with pork in any
century.  Be sure and put in more cherries/berries than applyes/pears so it's not
brown too of course!

Selene, Caid