[Sca-cooks] Payn pur-dew

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 23 10:48:11 PST 2002

OK, now i'm on the horns of a dilemma...

The answers i've gotten from the experts on this list point both
ways, depending on whose etymology i follow...

And testing the recipe won't tell me what they meant back in the 15th
c., especially since some other related recipes clearly call for
slices and some clearly call for torn bread.

Guess i'll just have to point out that it could mean either...

Thanks for the interesting micro-discussion.

Anahita
I gotta get an OED. I love reading etymologies.