[Sca-cooks] Tips on Redactions

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jan 23 11:58:26 PST 2002

Six.  Two related versions of the Raston recipe in the Harleian Mss, one
Baston recipe from the Beinecke Ms., Platina's sourdough recipe, and Restons
and Manchets from the Good Huswife's Handmaide.  I think the proliferation
of Raston recipes is because it is seen as a dessert rather than a bread.

There are many other baking recipes in the European corpus, but they are not
bread recipes.

There are some general ratios of ingredients in baking bread, however they
are modified by the quality and dryness of the flour, and things like
temperature and humidity.  As an example, modern flour seems to have less
moisture than 16th century flour, so you may need to add a little extra
water to make the bread come out properly.

Bear