[Sca-cooks] Festival of the Rose: Menu

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Jan 24 21:57:43 PST 2002

Arte said:
> I figured I would share what we (Mistress Huette and myself, with a few
> friends) plan on preparing for Her Majesty of Caid, Catalina, on February 2,
> 2002.  A little less than two weeks off and this is my first time to feed
> the crown.  Mistress Huette has been VERY helpful, and she's going to be
> also cooking.  We already have the pickling going. :)

> Menu as follows:
>
> Fruit
> Bread
> Cheese
> Cold tray with pickles, mushrooms, beets, asperigus and possibly artichokes.

Sorry, Stefan's going to be picky here. "pickles" is specifically
pickled cucumbers like you buy in the grocery? Or do you mean
a variety of pickled vegetables? Or do you actually mean
a pickle of mushrooms, beets, asparagus and possibly artichokes?
You said you had the pickling going already, so I assume you are
doing the pickling of at least one food yourselves.

> Almond Jello Mold (Huette has the recipe from a source)
> Compound Sallat with chicken (from Eating Shakespear)
> Brie Tart (from King's Taste)
> Beet Tart (Huette's recipe)
> Livering Puddings (Queen's Taste)
> Peas Pottage in the Italian Fashion (Eating William Shakespear)
> Pear Flambe or possibly Snow

I hope the Queen likes period food, or at least unusual food. My
first impression is that this wouldn't satisfy a "meat and potatos"
person.

Are you thinking about serving just the "Snow" by itself? Or to go
with the Pear Flambe or something else? When I made it, it was more
like a sweet cream topping. I think eating it by itself would kind
of like opening a container of "Cool Whip" or whipped cream and going
at that with a spoon. However, much better tasting.

If you have access to a wafer iron, sweet wafers would go well with
either the Pear Flambe (I think) or the Snow. And wafers are much
more practical for a small sideboard like this than a feast.

Do you have specific evidence of things being served flaming, which
I assume is what is done with this Pear Flambe, in period? If so,
I'd love to see more info, especially if they say what sor tof alcohol
was used.

> All the "flour" we use will be wheat flour, most likely, to deal with
> Catalina's "dislike" of it.

Dislike of what, wheat flour? Then why are you using it? I think I'm
missing something here.

> I found a recipe, which I believe is from a Form of
> Curye that is a meatloaf in the shape of a peapod that I THOUGHT I would
> redact...it would be my first redaction, so I'm not 100% sure I want to do
> that or not though.

Why don't you post your redaction and the original recipe here and
see if anyone has any comments?

We've discussed some meatloaf like foods here before. I don't know
if this will help or not, but maybe some of the comments in this
file in the FOOD-MEATS section might be of use:
meatloaf-msg      (11K) 10/11/00    Period meatloaf-like recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/meatloaf-msg.html
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net