Period Islamic breads (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Andalusian feast)

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Jan 24 23:29:44 PST 2002

>We have such a varied community around here (Vittoria and i live in
>the same Province - heck, i'm an honorary member of the College of
>Ste. Kates) that we can get Armenian lavosh, Lebanese pita, Persian
>sangak, and Afghan nan (not like Indian nan - nan is a word from
>Persian that means "bread") and i bet there are others around as
>well. And there are some Egyptian markets near me i should poke my
>head into, too, to see what they have. I'm thinking of a field trip
>to The City (what we around the Bay call San Francisco) to see what
>some of the Near Eastern markets have there. I hope i can find some
>Moroccan bread...

What information do you have on bread in al-Islam in period? We have
one recipe that is used for a kind of tharda, one Mughal pan bread,
and not much else. Are there pictures anywhere, or travelers'
descriptions? I don't remember ibn Battuta going into that much
detail (he does have pricing information on foodstuffs), but I wasn't
looking for it.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/