[Sca-cooks] Re: Wafers was Festival of the Rose: Menu

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Jan 25 18:52:15 PST 2002

This is a version of a modern dessert
wafer. I adjusted it to the brown sugar/
whole wheat requirements.

3 large eggs, 3/4 cup brown sugar,
1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 3/4 cup whole wheat
pastry blend flour (you can get this in a
white whole wheat speciality flour),
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 2 teaspoons extract
of your choice (almond or possibly hazelnut),
1/2 cup melted butter.

Beat the eggs, sugar, salt together. Combine
dry ingredients and add to egg mixture. Lastly
fold in the melted butter and flavoring. Bake
in wafer iron according to instructions. You may
have to adjust the batter for being too thick or
thin with a little additional liquid or flour.
If they are not crisping up due to high humidity or
weather conditions, the batter can have up to
2 teaspoons of non-period baking powder added.
I wouldn't use rosewater or orange water here because
I think that the whole wheat/brown sugar would overwhelm
the delicate nature of the flavorings. The use of dark
brown or light brown sugar will make a difference as
to the outcome also.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway