[Sca-cooks] Re: Wafers was Festival of the Rose: Menu

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Jan 25 23:37:18 PST 2002

Huette said:
> Yes, but I am going to have to experiment to find a
> workable recipe using whole wheat and either brown
> sugar or honey.  I will have a few minutes tomorrow
> to work on this.

If the person will accept a less processed sugar rather than
having to use a brown sugar, this might be better. Check some of
the sugar types in this file:
sugar-sources-msg (16K)  6/13/01    Modern sugar sources. Sugar types.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/sugar-sources-msg.html

Lately I've seen some of these sugars in my local grocery. And the
Sugar-in-the-Raw might work. This is less processed than the usual
white sugar. I think the brown sugars are too brown to have been
used for this. Today these are made by taking the regular white
sugar and mixing molasses back in. Molasses appears to be very
late period if that and mostly out of period. It also has the
property of being hydroscopic, soaking up any moisture. This might
have bad effects when used inside wafers.

However, I'd be interested in hearing about your experiments making
wafers with honey or brown sugar.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net