[Sca-cooks] Re: Wafers was Festival of the Rose: Menu

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Jan 26 04:22:23 PST 2002

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Huette said:
>
>>Yes, but I am going to have to experiment to find a
>>workable recipe using whole wheat and either brown
>>sugar or honey.  I will have a few minutes tomorrow
>>to work on this.
>>

> If the person will accept a less processed sugar rather than
> having to use a brown sugar, this might be better. Check some of
> the sugar types in this file:
> sugar-sources-msg (16K)  6/13/01    Modern sugar sources. Sugar types.
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/sugar-sources-msg.html
>
> Lately I've seen some of these sugars in my local grocery. And the
> Sugar-in-the-Raw might work. This is less processed than the usual
> white sugar. I think the brown sugars are too brown to have been
> used for this. Today these are made by taking the regular white
> sugar and mixing molasses back in. Molasses appears to be very
> late period if that and mostly out of period. It also has the
> property of being hydroscopic, soaking up any moisture. This might
> have bad effects when used inside wafers.
>
> However, I'd be interested in hearing about your experiments making
> wafers with honey or brown sugar.

You know, I've been reading this and wondering if anyone else has
noticed that brown sugar is simply white sugar mixed with a small amount
of molasses, and is probably more of an emotional palliative than an
actual, healthier alternative. But then one could say the same thing
about whole wheat flour (white flour also being wheat flour): it is,
chemically speaking, more or less white flour with bran added. No, it's
not made that way, but its composition amounts to it in most respects.
It _is_, for most people's needs, probably a healthier alternative to
white flour.

Adamantius (hey, that reminds me... I have a note here describing what
the incoming Crown of the East will and won't eat...)
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com