[Sca-cooks] Question to the Group

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Jan 25 23:56:58 PST 2002

Glenn asked:
> I am planning my Spring Equinox Feast and need your help!
>
> First: I am planning on using eggs as a "themed" ingredient/dish.  Any good
> recepies out there for eggs? (We use 1300-1500 British Ilses for our time
> period/location.)

Check this file in the Florilegium:
eggs-msg         (125K)  7/26/00    Egg storage. Recipes. Substitutions.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/eggs-msg.html

Unfortunately, like most of my files, it is not specific to a particular
are or era, within the SCA period. I also have a bunch more stuff to
add to this file which I can send you if you wish.

> Second: I am interested in serving some fish dishes.  Has anyone done the
> research on which species are native to the region and actually used in that
> time period? I am interested in both fresh and salt water fishes.

You might check these files in the FOOD-MEATS section
eels-msg          (26K)  1/ 9/01    Eel dishes. Getting and cleaning eels.
fish-msg         (109K)  5/26/00    Medieval fish dishes. Fish in the SCA.
fish-pies-msg     (11K)  5/ 3/01    Period fish pies. Recipes.
salmon-msg        (60K)  5/30/01    Period use of Salmon. Recipes.
seafood-msg       (77K)  4/20/01    Medieval non-fish seafood. Recipes.
Shrympes-art      (16K) 10/11/01    "Shrympes" by Lady Constance de Larose.
stockfish-msg     (96K)  9/10/01    Period preserved fish. Dried, smoked and
                                       salted fish. Recipes.

> Serving question: When did clay/ceramic dinnerware come into the picture.  I
> know that the concept is ancient, but when did it become accessable for the
> "common man?"

Check some of the referances given in these files in the CRAFTS section:
ceramics-bib       (7K)  7/20/01    A ceramics, pottery and tile bibliography.
Ceramics-Intro-art(13K) 11/19/01    An introduction to pottery and ceramics
                                       by Lady Artemesia Serena.
pottery-msg       (92K) 10/26/01    Medieval pottery, kilns. modern equivalents.
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net