[Sca-cooks] Question to the Group

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jan 26 00:42:42 PST 2002

Adamantius said:
> Glenn Crawford wrote:
> > Second: I am interested in serving some fish dishes.  Has anyone done the
> > research on which species are native to the region and actually used in that
> > time period? I am interested in both fresh and salt water fishes.
>
> You might enjoy a look at Izaak Walton's "The Compleat Angler" (Is that
> the title? I'm tired...). While post-period (contemporary to Pepys, the
> Great Fire of London, etc.), it has pretty comprehensive instructions
> for catching most of the freshwater English fish mentioned above.

Sigh. Somehow I missed this file when I was listing fish files in the
Florilegium earlier.
Complet-Anglr-msg (14K)  5/26/00    Recipes from "Compleat Angler", 1653.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Complet-Anglr-msg.html

I can't remember if this file mentions specific types of fish or not.
If not, maybe some of you will find it interesting, anyway.
Angling-art       (24K)  8/24/01    "A Historic Look at the Sport of Angling" by
                                       Creador TwineDragon. Pennsic 26 class.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/Angling-art/Angling-art.html

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net