[Sca-cooks] Festival of the Rose: Menu

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jan 26 06:53:00 PST 2002

>Oh yes. Forgot to ask. Is this a pudding made from
>liver?

The original recipe is for hog's liver.  Sass substitutes chicken livers.

>> > Do you have specific evidence of things being served
>> > flaming, which
>> > I assume is what is done with this Pear Flambe, in
>> > period?
>>
>> I think that Arte found the recipe in "The Delectable
>> Past" and wanted to try it.
>
>Okay. If I remember though "The Delectable Past" covers
>way past 1600. I'll try to remember to go find my copy
>and look this up.

The Delectable Past covers much more than pre-1600, does not present the
original recipes, and is of questionable accuracy.

>> > Dislike of what, wheat flour?
>>
>> Actually, we have been asking her chief lady in
>> waiting about this, but haven't gotten a straight
>> answer.  Either she is allergic to white flour, but
>> not wheat flour or she dislikes it greatly
>
>This too, makes a lot more sense than the way it was
>originally stated. Since there is some question just
>how white the medieval flour and sugar was, using
>the darker versions of these may be a reasonable compromise.
>--
>THLord Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra

I doubt this is allergy related.  Usually if you are allergic to one, you
are allergic to the other.  Whole wheat, still having the germ in it, is the
flour I would expect to trigger an allergic reaction.  BTW, how does she
feel about unbleached flour?

As an opinion, choosing whole wheat over white flour and brown sugar and
honey over white sugar are more likely to be matters of personal taste.

Bear