[Sca-cooks] OOP: Uzbeki Cuisine

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 26 09:16:30 PST 2002

I've been reading even more parts of this site. The Uzbeks still use
fat tail in their cuisine, including in their desserts. Several of
the dessert recipes remind me of recipes from al-Baghdadi. There are
also quite a few interesting bread recipes. I think it might be
useful to compare these with the Medieval recipes... Many of the
recipes have rather Persian names, even though many Uzbeks are
Turkic, since, after all, parts of this region were part of the
Persian empire (just as significant parts of Afghanistan were
"Persian").

I'm not claiming that these are the same recipes, but again, it looks
like there is some continuity. Studying them might add interesting
considerations to some of those problematic recipes.

This, of course, like my post on Andalusi bread, raises a question:
When dealing with non-European cuisines, how valid do folks think it
is to compare Medieval recipes with modern "ethnic" ones, in order to
clarify them? Or should we re-creational cooks completely ignore the
modern corpus, as similar as some dishes may seem, and just fly
blind, ignoring what people in the same geographic locations do today?

Anahita