[Sca-cooks] OOP: Uzbeki Cuisine

Jim and Andi icbhod at home.com
Sat Jan 26 09:45:51 PST 2002

Thank you! Actually, that site cleared up a major debate I was having...
that they use mung beans in that area. One of the  medieval dishes is called
pahet, it is a dish of "skinned pulses like mung, mash and lentils, ghee and
spices" but I've been using a modern recipe for "Dal Nawabi" which uses urad
dal. I tried the recipe with chickpeas, ful, and brown lentils and it tasted
okay but looked really awful and I was pretty sure they didn't have ful in
that area in period. I'll try a combination of the "Dal Nawabi" and the
Uzbek recipe with period spices and mung dal and see what I come up with.

I think that using modern ethnic recipes is very important. I did a LOT of
research on my Magyar and Polish feast using the Maria Dembinski book,
George Lang's Hungarian cookbook, and dating ingredients to the area. I
found I could not use cherries, paprika, sweet peppers, or certain methods
of cooking (I was doing a pre-Turkish influence cut-off) and that really
helped me to recreate medieval recipes. Were every single one of my recipes
redacted from a documented cookbook written before 1600, no way. But I was
confident that I was presenting foods the way they may very well have been.
You just have to look at the recipes very carefully, and know what
ingredients and cooking methods were used!!!

Madhavi