[Sca-cooks] OOP: Uzbeki Cuisine

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Jan 26 16:58:09 PST 2002

>I think that using modern ethnic recipes is very important. I did a LOT of
>research on my Magyar and Polish feast using the Maria Dembinski book,
>George Lang's Hungarian cookbook, and dating ingredients to the area. I
>found I could not use cherries, paprika, sweet peppers, or certain methods
>of cooking (I was doing a pre-Turkish influence cut-off) and that really
>helped me to recreate medieval recipes. Were every single one of my recipes
>redacted from a documented cookbook written before 1600, no way. But I was
>confident that I was presenting foods the way they may very well have been.

I'm not sure what "confident that ... the way they may very well have
been" means. The reason for your "may very well" is that you are not
confident that you have made things they actually did.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it--we do the best we can with the
available information. But it is important to be clear about where on
the range from "very sure" to "wild guess" any particular project
lies.

I believe that Lang mentions the existence of a manuscript cookbook
c. 1400. Have you investigated whether it exists and whether it is
possible to locate it and get copies?
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/