[Sca-cooks] Persian, anyone?

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Jan 26 10:08:20 PST 2002

>My resources are the Wheeler Thackston translation of the Babur-nama
>(primary), the Beveridge translation of the Humayun-nama (primary), "Moghul
>Cooking" by Joyce Westrip (secondary, an actual cookbook, she quotes and
>mostly works from solid period and OOP primary sources) and "Food and Drinks
>in Mughal India" by Dr. Satya Prakash Sangar which is the absolute most
>torturous book on cooking you will ever read but it is CHOCK-FULL of primary
>data.

Sounds like you have lots of stuff, and should eventually be writing
it up in some form the rest of us can use. The two things that occur
to me that you seem to be missing are:

The _Akbarnama_, of which _Ain i Akbari_ is one volume.

The _Rehla_ of Ibn Battuta, a substantial part of which describes his
experiences in India in the 14th c.

Also, there is supposed to exist an English translation by P. J.
Ramasawmy of Pak(h)asastra by Velu-Pillai, said to be a 4th c. Indian
cookbook. I haven't seen it, and am not sure it is really a cookbook.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/