[Sca-cooks] Persian, anyone?

Jim and Andi icbhod at home.com
Sat Jan 26 16:00:52 PST 2002

I will *definitely* be doing a page similar to Anahita's in the near future
with the research and recipes from the past few things I've been successful
at and the stuff from this feast.

Unfortunately, I'm trying to focus on food in 1510 Samarkand, not India. At
this point Samarkand was one of the capitals of Timurid Persia, the other
being Herat. I'm using books written about the early Mughals and then
carefully re-tracing ingredients and cooking methods to make sure that the
recipes aren't too Indian-influenced. To begin with I read the Babur-nama
and the Humayun-nama and took notes of every single mention of food. Notes
from both books only covered one sheet of paper!!  They did import Indian
sugar, spices, and maybe even some rice or pulses, but the style of the
region was Persian-influenced, not Indian. It's been very difficult to
separate the 2 out, and I'm not entirely sure I've been successful. But I'll
definitely pass along the info when I'm done. It's a really fascinating
region.

I'll definitely have to find those other sources, I would love to do a real
period Indian feast someday.

Madhavi