[Sca-cooks] Persian, anyone?

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Jan 26 10:02:16 PST 2002

>Does anyone here specialize in late period Persian and/or Central Asian
>food? I'm about tearing my hair out with a part of a feast I'm trying to
>plan for Black Gryphon which is in 3 WEEKS!
>
>Madhavi Bai
>House Herava
>Glaedenfeld, Meridies

I don't know of any cookbooks that fit that description. The closest
I can suggest are:

The various middle eastern and Andalusian cookbooks have some recipes
whose name or purported author suggests a Persian connection. There
is a 13th c. Andalusian cookbook webbed on my site if you want to go
through that. Barmakiya, for example, is named after the Barmacides,
who were a family of of Persian origin. But that doesn't guarantee it
is a Persian recipe. You can find it, with the worked out version, in
the Miscellany, also webbed on my site.

The _Ain i Akbari_ has a collection of ingredient lists (names,
quantities, no instructions), along with instructions for making
bread and arrack. That's 16th c. Mughal. A few of those are in the
Miscellany.

_Soup for the Qan_ represents a cuisine that mixes Chinese, Mongol,
and Persian, which averages out to central Asian.

Anahita says that I have:

"a small number of recipes from a slightly out of period Indian cookbook. "

Presumably, that's the _Ain i Akbari_. It isn't a cookbook, and most
of what I have are ingredient lists with quantities, not really
recipes--you can sometimes match them up with recipes from other
sources. But it is (barely) in period.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/