[Sca-cooks] Period Islamic breads (was Andalusian feast)

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Jan 26 09:54:16 PST 2002

>At a Fez "palace" restaurant i was served something that was
>virtually identical to Isfanakh Mutajjan, same ingredients (well,
>maybe no cinnamon), same finished product. It was quite a shock. I
>don't know what the Fassis called it. But i feel certain they weren't
>reading al-Baghdadi.

Years ago, when we ate at an Afghan restaurant, we were struck by the
use of mint/yogurt/garlic that you see a lot in Ibn al Mubarad. The
problem, of course, is that even if some period dishes have been
preserved in the cuisine, as seems likely enough, you can tell that
those ones are period only because you have period recipes for them.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/