[Sca-cooks] OOP: Uzbeki Cuisine

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Jan 26 18:55:05 PST 2002

>Okay, then let me ask your opinion, and the opinions of the people on this
>list in general,
>
>What does it take to authentically re-create a medieval cuisine without a
>handy cookbook? Can a person ever feel confident that they have succeeded in
>getting *pretty darn close* without recipes?

I don't think that is the right question to ask. You can be confident
that you have gotten about as close as you can given the limitations
in the information available to you. But you should recognize the
risk that, if you were actually able to bring someone who lived there
and then to your feast, his reaction might be "what's this stuff?"
And if you find new information, you have to be willing to modify
your guesses to take account of it.

That risk still exists when you are using period recipes--see the
post I am about to make about Hulwa and Mu'aqqad, which describes a
case where I suspect I may have seriously misinterpreted a recipe.
But at least it's less.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/