[Sca-cooks] Preliminary notes on Mu'aqqad

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Sat Jan 26 19:27:19 PST 2002

Now for a a genuine question from the peanut gallery.

	Why strain it through a piece of wool, or any cloth for that matter?  Were
there impurities in the sugar or rosewater the original user of the cooking
instructions would have used, or does this do something to the syrup?

Regina

sugar: 1/2c
rosewater:  1 c
3 egg whites
2 oz each pistachios and peeled almonds

I spent about 7 minutes stirring the sugar into the rosewater over
medium heat, until it dissolved and came to a simmer, then strained
it through a piece of scrap wool. I then simmered it at medium for 20
minutes, beat the egg whites to foamy and added them, beating them
with a whisk (aka whip--not the geared gadget) while continuing to
cook them at medium.