[Sca-cooks] My Own Introduction

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Jan 27 13:52:54 PST 2002

Liges introduced himself with:
> I am Lord Ligessac De La Ombrage Bocage, I've been in the Society for about
> 5 1/2 years, I am from the Canton of Rimsholt, in the Barony of Andelcrag,
> in the Kingdom of the Middle. The first feast I cooked was 2 years ago
> (almost to the day) I have hosted 4 feasts in this time, though the one 3
> days after my daughter was born was interesting this year.  I am also a
> brewer, herald, group archery marshal, rapier MIT, and am an all around
> evil, evil man (I make chocolate confections).

Welcome to SCA-Cooks.

I'm not sure if this is your first child or not. It does seem though
that your daughter is still an infant. Perhaps some of the files in
the CHILDREN section of the Florilegium might be of use to you:
babies-msg       (103K)  2/ 2/01    Camping with babies.
baby-gifts-msg    (20K)  4/13/98    Period-type and SCA-useful baby gifts.
baby-slings-msg    (9K)  2/ 2/01    Cloth slings for carrying your baby.
p-cradles-msg      (5K)  9/ 7/01    Period baby cradles.
teething-toys-msg (22K)  1/ 5/01    Period and SCA teething toys for infants.

There is also a large BEVERAGES section as well as sections for many of
your other interests.

While chocolate confections, particularly using solid chocolate are way
out of period, you might be interested in trying some of the chocolate
that was done prior to 1600. Chocolate, both period and modern, has
come up for discussion on this list repeatedly.
chocolate-msg     (40K)  2/28/00    History and description of early chocolate.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/chocolate-msg.html

> As far as what I like to cook for feasts I try to do a variety of items, I
> have done an entirely Oriental (moderinized) feast, some
> indian/mediteranian, and a few things that I just scrape by on the skin of
> my teeth as being close to period, as I tend to be an 'off the cuff' type
> of cook where as I know what's going in, and don't always hold to exact
> quantities, and make lots of substitutions.

I think you will learn a lot just being on this list. We might even
convince you to change the way you do some things...

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net