[Sca-cooks] Andalusian feast

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Jan 27 14:56:45 PST 2002

Mark Calderwood presented the Promotional pamphlet for the Andalusian
Twelfth Night Investiture (Principality of Lochac)...
> An Andalusian summer banquet from the court of the Cordoba
> Giles de Laval, feast steward
>
> The Place
> In the early 8th century, Moslem armies had crossed the Strait of Gibraltar
> and conquered the Visigothic kingdom of Spain, creating the land known as
> al-Andalus. The principal city was Cordoba, on the Guadalquivir river in
> southern Spain, which was the seat of the Umayyad Emirate: after 929 the
> Emir (military commander or prince) also assumed the title of Caliph
> (spiritual head of the Islamic community, and successor to the Prophet).
> While most of Europe was languishing in the barbarism of the Dark Ages, the
> Caliphate of al-Andalus, which covered most of modern day Spain, was a
> haven of learning, commerce, science, poetry and culture.

<snip>

> The Feast
> An Arab poet wrote that pleasure had six forms: food, drink, clothes, sex,
> scent and sound (the noblest of course being food!). With our guests seated
> upon cushions in their finest clothes, amid the soft sounds of the oud and
> splashing fountain, with the scents of citrus and jasmine in the air,
> sipping wines and syrups and treated to the most luxurious food in the
> history of Lochac, we are proud to offer at least five forms of earthly
> pleasure. We bid you welcome to the Andalusian summer banquet!

Nicely done. Both helps set the mood (if people spend the time to
read it) and helps those who are not that familar with the culture.

Is this a past event? Or one coming up? I assume the former since it
says "12th Night". If so, can I get the feast menu and perhaps
recipes. and if this has already happened a review on how it went,
what you might change next time? I'd like to add this to the
FEASTS section as a stand-alone article.

Thanks,
  Stefan
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net