[Sca-cooks] Andalusian feast

phoenissa at netscape.net phoenissa at netscape.net
Sun Jan 27 22:48:20 PST 2002

Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:

>Vittoria said:
>> I'm all set to buy the untoasted kind f=
>> or the feast.
>
>Good luck. I've been trying to remember to look for nontoasted sesame oil
>when I've been in various ethnic markets. Tried again, after seeing the
>comments on this list recently, on Saturday, but all World Foods had was
>the toasted stuff. I think I was looking for this several years ago when
>I made the wafers from the Polish recipe book, but couldn't find it then
>either and substituted another oil.

I think Whole Foods and other health food stores should have it (don't know if you have Whole Foods in your area, but they're all over California...)

>It sounds like you want to buy this bread, but perhaps the desciptions
>in this file might be useful.

Yeah, I'm definitely buying all the bread; don't have the time or the oven space to bake any.  But descriptions will help me know what to look for, I think...

>We have talked a little bit about watermelons on this list. You might
>check this file:
>fruit-melons-msg  (23K)  2/ 9/01    Period melons. References. Recipes.
>http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-FRUITS/fruit-melons-msg.html

Aha!  It looks like I can maybe get away with serving some after all :-)  (Along with other fruits, of course.)

>One thing we've done when we've been unable to pin wall hangings directly
>to the walls is to string a rope along the wall and hang the wall hangings
>from that. At our recent event, they had a very mundane, but very
>fragile painted tapestry on the wall behind the stage. We had planned to
>use some lattice work the barony has to put in front of this and then
>hang the wall hangings from that. However, the site had a pair of
>volley ball poles, the metal posts stuck into a rubber tire and tire
>rim. So we simply moved those to each side of the stage, strung rope
>between them and hung the banners and wall hangings from that.

That works :)  I would love to do something like that.  So far our only decorating advantage is that the wall with all the football trophies of yore will be out of sight on the day of the event :-/  I don't remember what we have in the bidget for decorations (or what they'll let us do in the hall), but I hope we can figure out something cool.  The best thing about the site is that it includes a large patio, paved with stones and surrounded by greenery.  Very pretty and relatively safe from modernisms...I hope that can be somehow used to add to the ambience.

Vittoria