[Sca-cooks] Cinnamon

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Jan 28 07:23:53 PST 2002

> Um, I thought that cinnamon and cassia were just different parts of the same
> plant? And that cassia buds were from the same plant, too?

Nope. Cassia bark comes from the Chinese cinnamon tree, Cinnamomum cassia,
but in the US, cassia bark is marketed as 'cinnamon'. True cinnamon, also
called Ceylon cinnamon, comes from the Cinnamomum zeylanicum tree. I'm not
sure about cassia buds.

I'm not sure about the cassia buds, though. Because several sources list
cassia buds as a term used for the fruits of both Cinnamomum cassia and
Cinnamomum zeylanicum, so I suspect cassia buds might be either.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa