Brown sugar was Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: Wafers

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Mon Jan 28 07:53:55 PST 2002

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> > However, I'd be interested in hearing about your experiments making
> > wafers with honey or brown sugar.
>
> You know, I've been reading this and wondering if anyone else has
> noticed that brown sugar is simply white sugar mixed with a small amount
> of molasses, and is probably more of an emotional palliative than an
> actual, healthier alternative. But then one could say the same thing
> about whole wheat flour (white flour also being wheat flour): it is,
> chemically speaking, more or less white flour with bran added. No, it's
> not made that way, but its composition amounts to it in most respects.
> It _is_, for most people's needs, probably a healthier alternative to
> white flour.
>
> Adamantius (hey, that reminds me... I have a note here describing what
> the incoming Crown of the East will and won't eat...)

Ha! For several years, at least until I weaned my husband off his habit of
eating the brown sugar straight out of the canister, I just kept a jar of
molasses around and made it on demand.

Then I had to break him of eating the chocolate chips without telling me,
then the baking chocolate. Sigh.

Margaret