Brown sugar was Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: Wafers

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Mon Jan 28 15:54:22 PST 2002

> > You know, I've been reading this and wondering if anyone else has
> > noticed that brown sugar is simply white sugar mixed with a small amount
> > of molasses, and is probably more of an emotional palliative than an
> > actual, healthier alternative.

No, it's not any healthier... but it is probably closer to what period sugar
looked like. They sure-as-shootin' didn't have our pure refined white sugar.

> > But then one could say the same thing
> > about whole wheat flour (white flour also being wheat flour): it is,
> > chemically speaking, more or less white flour with bran added. No, it's
> > not made that way, but its composition amounts to it in most respects.
> > It _is_, for most people's needs, probably a healthier alternative to
> > white flour.

Now, whole wheat IS healthier than white flour, since there is a significant
amount of nutrition in the bran.

Avraham haRofeh
(yes, I'm new to the list)