[Sca-cooks] Festival of the Rose: Menu

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jan 28 08:05:02 PST 2002

>>Gah, I wouldn't want to eat a grey egg either.. Mine have always come out
>>marbled brown. Unless I"m thinking of something entirely different, it is a
>>cracked up boiled egg that is then soaked in a soy/spice/tea mixture for a
>>few hours, resulting in the coloring to the egg.
>>
>>Are we thinking of two different dishes???
>>
>>Maggie MacD.
>>
>Actually they are two different things.  I don't have my book here at work
>with me so I can't give exact recipes but I was actually talking about the
>tea eggs which I think are called hundred year eggs and the others are 1,000
>year eggs.  Of course, we have to remember that it is (::me::) talking and
>my mind is quiet seive-like...can anyone say "the 60's"??
>Olwen who knows they happened...just not much else..

As far as I know, tea eggs are called tea eggs, marbled eggs, or
sometimes even five-spice eggs, whereas hundred-year or thousand-year
eggs, or, for that matter, ancient eggs, as they've sometimes been
called, are all the same thing, generally about 90 days old. They're
not actually entirely gray, though, when fresh. The white is a
translucent, dark amber, when seen in decent light, actually rather
pretty, with the yolk having a gray outer layer, then usually sort of
greenish-yellow-gray in the center.

I don't think it's so much that they're unattractive, as that when
someone is hung up on what certain foods should look like and
deviation from a certain tight focus is wrong, then I could see
someone considering them a bit weird. On the other hand, think how
awfully ugly a fine prosciutto di Parma is: it looks, tastes, and
texturally resembles fresh pork very little. Therefore... Q.E.D.

Adamantius