[Sca-cooks] Sesame oil, was Andalusian feast

Jim and Andi icbhod at home.com
Mon Jan 28 08:38:44 PST 2002

I think it depends on what ethnic markets you have near you. I live in
Nashville TN, and while the Asian markets only have the dark toasted sesame
oil, the Middle Eastern markets have several different brands of the regular
sesame oil. And the price difference can be astounding between the health
food markets and the ethnic markets, *especially* for stuff like that. I
would price it first, even if you have to drive a little ways for the
cheaper ethnic store. I priced whole cardamom pods here just a few days ago,
and at the local Wild Oats they cost $4.69 for 2 oz. but at the Indian
market they cost $4 for a half-pound. Nuts, tahini, dates, and spices and
rice were all significantly cheaper.

Madhavi