[Sca-cooks] Sesame oil, was Andalusian feast

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 28 17:46:11 PST 2002

On 28 Jan 2002, at 8:16, lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> Untoasted is NOT likely to be at ethnic markets, in my experience.
> Since the toasted is used in several East Asian cuisines, not just
> Chinese, it is what you're most likely to find in the ethnic markets.
> Anahita

Dunno about that.  It depends on the ethnicity of the ethnic market.
 The Middle Eastern grocery that I visited the other day had
sesame oil, and it certainly *looked* untoasted.

I was driving home from Hackensack, and decided on whim to stop
off in Paterson.  They have a large Middle Eastern population there.
 I picked up some pomegranate syrup and orange-flower water,
since my local Pakistani grocery was out of the former, and does
not carry the latter.  There were lots intriguing things on the
shelves.  Many of the packages were not labelled in English, but I
saw sumac, both whole and ground, and date syrup, and packages
of halwa.  If it wasn't getting on towards dark, I might have
wandered down the street to explore the Turkish grocery, too.

I love New Jersey.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net