[Sca-cooks] Maryland Stuffed Ham

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 28 10:28:04 PST 2002

>so, I'm trying to catch up on old posts and I come across this
>

> >Maryland Stuffed Ham (the party of the third part being referred to
> >henceforth as "stuffed ham") is a stuffed ham dish indigenous and more
> >or less peculiar to Maryland. While some authorities insist this must be
> >made with a corned ham, rather than a salted and smoked ham, most seem
> >to agree that the stuffing is inserted into the bone cavity after the
> >ham has either been glove-boned or butterflied (in other words, either
> >not split, but rather left as a tube shape, or split open for removal of
> >the bone), and filled with a mixed vegetable stuffing based on chopped
> >greens such as cabbage, kale, and possibly even watercress. This is then
> >wrapped in a cloth and simmered until tender. Served cold, in slices.
> >There are apparently some effete restaurants that sell a variant of this
> >dish in which the stuffing is rolled up in slices of the ham. Which
> >could make for a wonderful dish, but not really the same thing.
> >
> >Adamantius
>
>and I'm thinking that someone was transcribing recipes from 'the good
>huswifes jewel' and posted a recipe for stuffed ham.  Or am I imagining
>that?  If I didn't imagine it, how's it compare with this?
>

>Bonne
>--
I guess I was not supposed to leave this alone after all.  I tried really
hard to just delete it and get over the fact that I live in Maryland and the
above recipe is *not* what is served here as Maryland Stuffed Ham.  Around
here they stuff it with sausage.  Don't ask me why.
Olwen, ham lover, sausage lover, stuffed ham..?..what's the point