[Sca-cooks] Maryland Stuffed Ham

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jan 28 11:00:47 PST 2002

Olwen wrote:

>I guess I was not supposed to leave this alone after all.  I tried really
>hard to just delete it and get over the fact that I live in Maryland and the
>above recipe is *not* what is served here as Maryland Stuffed Ham.  Around
>here they stuff it with sausage.  Don't ask me why.
>Olwen, ham lover, sausage lover, stuffed ham..?..what's the point

And then my brother claims it is stuffed with spinach, but I assume
that a) if the stuffing consisted largely of dark greens such as
watercress and kale, it might easily be confused for spinach, and b)
the flavor combination of cured pork and greens (another old
Baltimore specialty, as well as that of a number of other
19th-century American eastern cities, such as Philadelphia and New
York) is a fortuitous one.

I assume there are local differences...

Adamantius