[Sca-cooks] Personal cooking philosophy- was Playing with my food again- OOP

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 08:15:24 PST 2002

--- Etain1263 at aol.com wrote:

> I liked the sounds of the original recipe..and had
> turnips and pork chops..so
> I tried it.  When I went to retrieve the half head
> of cabbage from the rear
> of the fridge...it was gone!  Some "well meaning"
> person (I won't name
> names..but the kids are all gone off to college)
> decided that it had been in
> there "too long"  and must be "bad"...so he threw it
> out!  Hmmm..what to do?
> Well..I had broccoli and cauliflower..so I chopped
> up equal amounts of
> them..and it worked just fine!

Is pretty good, isn't it? Just right for an easy cold
miserable day meal. Margali seemed to like it pretty
well when I fed it to her after work last week.

I'll tell you, one of the things I like about it, and
other one pot meals I like to make, is basicly my
philosophy about cooking. I like a meal where the
flavor of each ingredient is distinct but
cpmplementary to each other, with no one flavor
heavily dominating. I've had too many meals where one
food dominated and made the rest of the foodstuffs
incidental.

I suspect that might be part of why I dislike bell
peppers and black licorice/anise/fennel so much.
Unless used in minute quantities, they tend to be
overpowering.

I tend to be a person of rather simple tastes- I like
coffee in my coffee, and oysters in my stew, and I'll
tend to avoid dishes with overpowering sauces,
although I love strong flavors, remembering that I eat
garlic as a vegetable, and use hot peppers freely. I
think what I look for, is what Paul Prudhomme called a
"roundness of flavor" when discussing his spice blends
and cooking philosophy.

Phlip

Phlip

=====