[Sca-cooks] haggis, was (something else about puddings...)

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Tue Jan 29 14:59:06 PST 2002

Olwen asked:
> >--- lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
> > > Rock? Who needs a rock when you've got a haggis!
> >
> >You should have tried the haggis Badger made at
> >Pennsic, using the stomach and all the traditional
> >ingredients, including lungs, from the lamb we
> >butchered. It was a bit dry- we think there was a bit
> >too many oats, but it was VERY tastry. Definitely
> >something I'd try again.....
> >
> >Phlip
>
> Phlip, which Badger are you speaking of?  Do you think this will be made
> agian?  If so, I hope I am invited!

This particular dish may have been one of those that showed up
at the SCA-Cooks pot-luck/get-together that year. This was
several years ago (Pennsic 28?, 29?) when Phlip taught her
butchering class. This was done offsite, to avoid violating
the Pennsic rules about onsite slaughtering of animals.

So, yes if it were to be done again, I imagine you would be
invited. As are all the folks on this list, or any one else
interested in cooking or talking about period food.

Unless someone else has already started organizing it, and gotten
space, I will also be setting up another SCA-Cooks pot-luck/get-
together at the upcoming Gulf Wars in March.

Olwen, if you would like to try your hand at haggis, you might
want to take a look at this file in the FOOD-MEATS section of
the Florilegium. There are both period and post-period haggis
recipes as well as both 'vegetable' and 'organ-meat' versions
of haggis given in this file:
haggis-msg        (94K) 10/25/01    Scottish haggis recipes. comments on
haggis.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/haggis-msg.html

Stefan li Rous