[Sca-cooks] Banquet dels Quatre Barres - service, length, menu

XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com
Tue Jan 29 15:58:11 PST 2002

In a message dated 1/29/02 2:07:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
TerryD at Health.State.OK.US writes:

<< I doubt the word carmelize appears in period, but the results were
certainly
 known.  Several years ago, I prepared Roasted Onion Salad where the onions
 are roasted in the embers.  The results of the roasting are carmelized
 onions, whether or not it is mentioned in the original recipe.

 Bear

 > Does the recipe actually talk about caramelizing the onions? Another
 > technique I wasn't aware of being used in period.
 >
 > THLord Stefan li Rous >>

If things like Muhadra (spcied rice, lentils, and onions) was period, I would
believe they did know about carmelizing onions. Muhadra certainly has
carmelized onions in it and its very good. And if Muhadra is period, would
the Arabs have used more sweet spices (cinnamon for example) than spicy
spices (like cumin).

Misha