[Sca-cooks] post period was Festival of the Rose

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jan 29 23:08:13 PST 2002

Arte said:
> >Ah, Arte dear, I think we are going to have to rethink
> >this recipe, since it is way off period.  That will
> >teach me not to look things up just because my
> >apprentice tells me that it is "a little post period".
> >Sigh.  My fault.  I promise not to beat you too hard
> >tonight. :-)
>
> I thought the recipe was from 1655 when I looked at it.  I don't have the
> book in front of me right now, but I remember thinking when I saw it that it
> was a few years off period (not 40 years).  Sorry!
>
> I think its probably a good idea to just stick with fruit as desert since
> that's what the queen seemed to like and I don't want to try a new desert so
> close to the date.  I'm still testing bread recipes.

Hold it. I haven't had time to find the book and look for the
recipe. I said that some of the book was well past period. That
doesn't necessarily say this particular recipe is. While I don't
think you should make wild assumptions that a dish is period, on
the other hand, I don't think you should quickly assume it isn't
either without more evidence.

I think flaming foods can make great theatrics. I'd just like to
find out if they are even close to period.

Of course, your Peer may have actually looked this up. If she
has, I hope she will give us the facts on it.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net